Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti

♔ Details

Title: Keep Holding On
Author: Susane Colasanti
Publisher: Viking Juvenile (Penguin)
Release date: 31st May 2012
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
A romantic and empowering book about bullying
Noelle's life is all about survival. Even her best friend doesn't know how much she gets bullied, or the ways her mom neglects her. Noelle's kept so much about her life a secret for so long that when her longtime crush Julian Porter starts paying attention to her, she's terrified. Surely it's safer to stay hidden than to risk the pain of a broken heart. But when the antagonism of her classmates takes a dramatic turn, Noelle realizes it's time to stand up for herself--and for the love that keeps her holding on.
♔ Review

Keep Holding On was one of my most anticipated books of the year. With its interesting premise about bullying and young and innocent love, it immediately caught my attention. I couldn't resist its cute concept!

Now that I've read it I can say that the book isn't spectacular, but it was as much as a (bitter?)sweet read as I had hoped. I instantly fell in love with the main character. It was endearing and much more to read about Noelle's experiences. She's just a girl who's trying to live her everyday live and do things right. What she has to experience as a result of the bullying is completely heartbreaking. I spent all the book wanting to jump into the book and hug Noelle. There's a moment when she's even trying to figure out what she did wrong, if it was impossible for someone to love her. You're right, I was already crying at that point.

Luckily, there are some people that make Noelle's life a little brighter, like her best friend and Julian. Now, about Julian. I really liked him and his love for Noelle, but he left me... puzzled at times. I felt like he was blind at times, like he could have helped her more. As for the other characters, I mostly felt furious for those ignoring her.

Having read this book, I bow my hat to the author. The story that Susane Colasanti has written felt REAL at all times! It's truly inspiring.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

11 comments:

Nicola said...

Gorgeous review as always, Sophie! I've been hearing lovely things about this from everyone. I will most definitely be getting a copy. :D

Arila said...

Parece una novela contemporánea bastante entretenida. Últimamente me ha dado por leer cosas más realistas y creo que esta podría gustarme, me da un poco por épocas. ¡Gracias por la reseña! Un besito :)

Rachel @ Unforgettable Books said...

:) Keep Holding On sounds great Sophie! I'm glad you liked the main characters!

Mimi Valentine said...

I know how much you wanted to read this book so I'm really happy that you loved it, Soph! I think I've only been completely blown away by a contemporary book once -- and that was with Anna and the French Kiss -- so I hardly ever get my hopes up too high when going into them haha. x) But even though this wasn't blow-you-away amazing, it sounds like one of the better contemporaries out there for the realness factor! :)

Beautiful review, Sophie! <3

Hilda K said...

Lovely review as always, Sophie! <3 Books about bullying always make me want to cry, and this one doesn't sound any different! <3 I heard amazing things about this book, so I'm really glad that you love it! It seems like a heartbreaking read. I bought this last week and I can't wait to start reading! x)

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I'm glad that you like it so much. Books about bullying are always a bit 'hard' for me to read, since I was bullied when I was younger. But this one sounds like something I really need to read.

There is a lot of awesomeness in your review ^^

Sam said...

Sounds like the characters drew a mixed bag of emotions from you. I'm glad you could invest some emotion in Noelle. I haven't even met her yet but want to give her a hug myself from reading your review. ;) I'm glad you liked this, Sophie. Brilliant review as always!

Gianna said...

ASsdfghjdfghslafj; okay, I love it when books make me cry, so if this made you cry, I really want to read this! I'm really glad to see you enjoyed this book a lot, Sophie! <3 I've yet to read anything by this author but I will soon check her out. ;D

mientrasleo said...

No conocía este libro, me lo voy a apuntar, al igual que tu blog que está fantástico.
Besos, si pasas por el mío sorteamos un kindle

Celine said...

EEEEEEEEE! This sounds like a very amazing book and I've heard great things about it! I should really really read this book soon!

Awesome review, Sophie! <3 So glad you enjoyed it!

Hayley said...

This sounds like a brill book and I've heard so many good things about it- why the tears though? I'll be sure to pick it up as quickly as possible. Great review!

Teenage Fiction

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio