Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum

♔ Details

Title: Until I Die - Revenants #2
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: 8th May 2012
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.
As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.
In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.
♔ Review

I was one of the few people that, while I did enjoy Die for Me, it wasn't really a favorite of mine. So I was a bit worried whether I'd like its sequel, Until I Die.

Until I Die takes us back to the wonderfully and exquisitely described Paris setting where the first book took place. With Kate and her revenant friends temporarily free of the evil numa for some time due to last book's development in the end, she can finally worry about other things. And worry she does. Because there's another threat looming; Vincent's need to save people and possibly die in the process, and Kate's own mortality. On another note, two new revenants have moved to the house to replace the twins, but it seems like they won't cover their place on Kate's heart any time soon.

Entrancing and delightful setting in Paris aside (which made me want to hop on a plane to Paris as soon as I could), it took me a while to get sucked into the book. It was certainly nice, but in the middle of the book the pace got somehow slow and thus hard to get addicted to, as I had first hoped. Oh, but it got better. The end. Oh, my. What an ending. I won't say anything, but I couldn't stop reading as the tension started building and the book got impossibly gripping and then, suddenly, it ended. Just like that.

I have to admit that I did't love Vincent in the first book, which made me in turn not love the book. After reading Until I Die I'm seeing him through different eyes, though. I think I got a wrong image of him. Don't ask me why.

All in all, Until I Die is a sequel that I liked fairly better than the first book, and while slow at times it still managed to invest me in the end and even make me tear up in some occasions. Through all the book I was certain it was going to end one way, so it really surprised me when it didn't. Gosh, I can't wait until next year to read the third one, If I Should Die.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

9 comments:

Carina said...

Since I absolutely looooved DIE FOR ME, I was a tiny bit disappointed with UNTIL I DIE's slow pace, but I liked it nonetheless. And, oh yes, that ENDING! I need book #3 right now. :D

Hilda K said...

Vincent is lovely. That's the first adjective that comes into my mind when I think of him hehe! x) I adore Die For Me although I'm not exactly in love with Kate. But the story is very romantic and set in the most beautiful setting ever. <3

Beautiful review, Sophie! Glad you enjoyed this more than the first book. I hope the waiting for the third book won't be too painful! <3

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bummer about it being a bit slow, but I'm glad the ending made up for it. I haven't read any of these books, so it was interesting to hear about. I really like that the setting is in Paris. Very different and fun!

-lauren

Gianna said...

I really liked Die For Me, but didn't loved it like you said. >.< I've been hesitant in wanting to read Until I Die, but maybe I'll like this one better?

Awesome review, Sophie! :)

Mimi Valentine said...

Mind-reader, you are; awesome reviewer, you are; totally and completely awesome person, you definitely are too! x) I wasn't exactly enamoured with Die For Me either, so I was really surprised by how much I loved this book (and Vincent) too! Everything awesome was amplified in this book, despite that slow middle.

And THAT ENDING. Oh my gosh, I just about had a heart attack with the way Amy Plum left it!! I'm trying my best to not gush my heart about it in the comments since you were gracious enough not to spoil anything in your review, but I'm really tempted :')

Beautiful review as always, Sophie! ♥ We can crave If I Should Die mercilessly together LOL! ;)

Ajoop. S said...

I'm intrigued by this series! I haven't given it a shot but I think I should, based on your review of Until I Die! It sounds fantastic!

Sam said...

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book either but I did still enjoy it. I'm looking forward to starting book 2 soon. I'm eager to read this ending for myself! Great review, Sophie. :)

Nick said...

I didn't enjoy the first book in the series, but a lot of people are saying that the second book is a lot better. I'm thinking about getting this one for that reason.
Also, I wasn't a fan of Vincent either, but it's great that you liked him better in this one.
Thanks for the great review :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

Great to hear that Until I Die worked better than the first book for you. I really liked it and was surprised by that, because I didn't expect it to be that good. Vincent is one of my favourite characters and of course I just love the Parisian setting!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio