Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

♔ Details

Title: Dark Kiss - Nightwatchers #1
Author: Michelle Rowen
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release date: 29th May 2012
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...
♔ Review

This book was like a great surprise for me. In some parts it was way better than I expected, and in some others it wasn't. It was a nice mix, though!

Sam is your regular good highschool girl, until the impossible happens and she is somehow thrust into a completely different world, where there are angels, and there are demons. And all of that because of a kiss! I was sad that all that angel and demon world wasn't explained that much on the book. All the time I was waiting for more details and explanations.

The characters were highly enjoyable. Although I had a couple of issues with Sam... I mean, she was a nice girl, but it seemed like the others had to practically beg her in order for her to do something, like she wouldn't offer any help on her own. Bishop was an absolute delight to read about. I still feel like there was so much more to him, I hope we'll discover more in the next book. And Kraven. Gosh. I'm usually the typical girl who falls for all the good boys and runs away from the bad ones, but with Kraven? I honestly couldn't get enough of him. He's one of my favorite points of the book!

The plot and the story's twist were a bit easy to guess, but some of them were still unexpected. All the story happens in so little time (I think it develops through just one week) that this book felt more like introductory to me. And even though there were a couple of points that I disliked, I found myself enjoying it. Dark Kiss is definitely a cute read!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

11 comments:

Gellie said...

This is the second time I've encountered this book and I love re-reading the blurb. I think it really shows off the personality of the MC. Also, the hot dudes sound amazing <3 Haha. I wish our bookstores have this in stock soon.

Thanks for your review :D

Nicola said...

Lovely review, Sophie! I think I'm going to give this one a miss though. I get a weird ''vibe'' from it and don't think I'd enjoy it. I've seen lots of positive reviews of it though and I'm glad you liked it for the most part! :)

Hilda K said...

LOL, I have to agree with you, Sophie! People around her just seem to have to beg for her help! x) Kraven is really swoonworthy in his own way. <3 I'm more Team Bishop right now, but it may change after we read the second book! Bishop with all the mystery surrounding him is just irresistible for me. <3

Lovely review like always, Sophie. <3

Rachel @ Unforgettable Books said...

Sweet review Sophie! I like the sound of this book! Great criticm of world building and Sam, it gives me a scence of what this book is like.
Hopefully the second book is amazing!

Jennifer said...

Great review. I have had my eye on this one for a while. I'm glad you thought it was a cute read :)

Ajoop. S said...

Lovely review as always, Sophie! It's sad that there isn't a lot of detail behind the backstory of Dark Kiss. That always irks me. But it still sounds amazing and Kraven sounds so hot!! I can't wait to meet him xD

Mimi Valentine said...

KRAVEN! Oh my gosh, Sophie, he was one of my favourite parts of this book too! Although I guess that makes more sense because I'm actually one of those girls who falls for all the bad boys and runs away from the good ones, but still! x) And I guess Sam did kind of have to be begged for help LOL, but I adored her much more by the end and I'm really excited to see where Michelle Rowen takes this story! It felt like more of a set-up to me too, but it was a really fun one to a hopefully fun rest-of-the-series too! :)

Beautiful honest & 1005 helpful review as always, Sophie! Even though it didn't completely WOW you, I'm really glad you enjoyed it! ♥

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

Wow I haven't heard of this one before but the cover looks so mysterious!!!!!! The fact that the plot is a bit predictable is a bit of a bummer but the concept and characters sound interesting. It's too bad you had issues with Sam! I know how you feel...sometimes I just can not relate to the characters. Thank you so much for the honest review! I am glad to hear that you liked it and I am definitely planning to try it! Great review :)

SeeitORreadit

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice review! I've heard some different things about this one, but I'm definitely getting curious about it. I like the premise of it, even if it's not fully explained...maybe the next will be better. And I do love a great bad boy. :)

-Lauren

Sophia said...

Ooh, I need to read this book! I love the cover (although the model reminds me of Edward Cullen, haha). I'm sorry that Sam was a bit frustrating. I'm not sure if I'll like her. But Bishop certainly sounds fabulous. ;) Fabulous review, Sophie! I'm glad you found liked this book, despite some noteworthy flaws.

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Hahaha, in real life, bad guys are not my thing. But when it comes to a book, I tend to go with them :p So Kraven sounds exactly like my booktaste ^^

I'm glad that you liked it, even when there were a couple of flaws in it. You wrote a honest, great review about it :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio