Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Poison Study by Maria V Snyder

♔ Details

Title: Poison Study - Study #1
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Harlequin
Release date: 1st June 2004

♔ Summary
Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison…
About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.
And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.
As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...
♔ Review

Poison Study is the first book of the Study series written by Maria V. Snyder. I read Touch of Power (also written by her) and I thought I had to read some of her other books. So when the starts aligned and the opportunity presented itself, I couldn't let it pass!

The world Maria creates in Poison Study is magic, simple and beautiful. Ixia was reigned by an unjust king when Commander Ambrose took the power from him to right things. Ixia is divided in different Military Districts (MD, for short) and ruled according to the Code. The same Code that dictates that Yelena must me executed for murdering her adoptive father's son. She's an orphan, but she's not an assassin; General Brazell and Reyad, his son, brutally abused her and a lot of other orphaned children that they had taken "under their care". Yelena did what she did fully conscious of her acts. She just wanted to spare the other children that would surely come after her. She's set to prison to wait to be executed. Except, luck seems to be on her side and she's offered the position to be the Commander's food taster.

It was impossible not to grow to love Yelena. At such a young age, she's faced uncountable horrors. And, even when she has to face death (even when being a food taster), she remains strong. Her courage was something I greatly admired through all the book. It was quite fascinating seeing her getting acquainted with poisons. Not that I'm going to jump and fill her position, but it was something I hadn't seen before. Oh, and let's not forget the side characters! Every one of them was so unique it was easy to differentiate and remember them.

But, of course, this is a book by Maria V. Snyder! And, as such, it didn't lack the uniquely characteristic love story and love interest. Let me introduce you to Valek. Thoughful, gorgeous, quiet, severe, caring Valek. He's one of those love interests that you immediately discard as such, as things go on you think "no way!" but in the end you can't help falling in love with. He was always composed, and on the very few scenes when he was a bit awkward I found him adorable. Their love scenes were so rare that they were always like a treat.

Magic is also finely intrincated throughout the book, although it was too little, in my opinion. I wanted to know more about it! Since the next book, which I'm obviously planning to get my hands on soon, is titled Magic Study, I don't think I'll have to worry that much. The only downfall of this book was that it didn't invest me emotionally. I'm blaming a reading slump or something along those lines, because the story itself was very original and sweet.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

7 comments:

Hilda K said...

Poison Study! ♥ Ah, I remember I finished this book in one sitting. I LOVE this book so much. Yelena is one of my favorite heroines ever! She's smart, beautiful, brave, and completely able to stand in her own feet! ♥ I love scenes involving Yelena and Valek, every scene do seem like a treat for me! :)

Amazing review, Sophie! ♥ So glad you enjoyed this book too! :)

A. Knight @ Paranormal Indulgence said...

I seriously loved Poison Study and I think the magical element only grows from that point on, but the romance between Valek and Yelena is.. OH, GOSH DANGIT, very, very sexy and full of heat and loyalty and sweetness. Loved this book and so glad to hear you liked it as well!

Arila said...

A pesar de que me dijiste que no te gustó tanto como el primero que leíste de esta autora, tu reseña me ha dado unas ganas tremendas de empezarlo. Me pondré a ello muy pronto ^^
Un beso!

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh, why why why am I the only girl who hasn't read this book yet?? It seems like everyone else in the blogosphere has picked this up but me and LOVED it! x) I think that I'll be able to get along with Yelena really well from how much you love her, and I adore how you described the romance! Super-romantic books are always fun, but sometimes it's even sweeter to read books with those rare moments of tenderness that sweep you off your feet :) ♥

Beautifully written and point-blank AWESOME review as always, Sophie! And I really hope you can get out of your reading slump soon -- at least this one sounds like it held you out of there for a bit! ;)

Gianna said...

I hear so many good reviews about this! :) I didn't know there was romantic elements in this book, but now I just want to get it in my hands *--* ASAP!

Fantastic review as always, Sophie! ♥ n.n

Celine said...

EEEEE! I am so excited to read this book! I got the whole trilogy sitting on my shelf and I just need to find the perfect time to read it! I've read Maria's Touch of Power and it was fantastic! Can't wait to meet Valek too! ;)

Awesome review, Sophie! ♥ SO glad you enjoyed it!

Ajoop. S said...

I'm SO glad you enjoyed this, Sophie! It sounds amazing! Especially the premise. Wow. It's so original! And Valek sounds fantastic too! I'm wondering why I haven't picked this one yet!!! Great review xD

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio